Monday 9 June 2008

Missing In Action

Hi guys, it's been a wee while since I last blogged, my apologies, but I've been 'away' for two reasons...
1. I've been busting a gut trying to get a new job before I get made redundant at the end of June.
And 2. They've blocked blogger.com access here at work. What a bummer now that I've got time on my hands. [I'm emailing this by the way]

So a quick update...
After a few fruitless interviews and a heck of a lot more fruitless phone interviews and way too many false leads from agencies, I have finally got myself a new job.
It's a LOT closer to home, about 12 miles away compared to my current 32 miles away !!!! So purely on petrol I'll be saving a small fortune, which is good news with the current fuel prices.
I was starting to get a little panicky about how fast the end of June was approaching. I so wanted to leave NXP with all of my pay-off intact and not have to live off of it if I could possibly avoid it.
Five years of pay-off looks a tidy sum on paper, but it wouldn't last that long when I'd start using it to live off !!!
Having been for two unsuccessful interviews at other companies I went for the interview at DiagnoSys and it just felt good.
It's a small company, about 40 people which is nice. One of those places that kind of feels right, so I was very keen to impress them.
I must have done OK as the agency called the next day saying they wanted me back for a 2nd interview, but sadly this was going to be a while away as the technical director was on holiday and wasn't due back in the office again until the 27th May. Blimey. What a wait. It was agonising.
I already had the 28th and 29th May off as we were visiting Charlotte up in Leeds for her final end of course recital at Leeds College of Music, and it was also my birthday. =:oD
I'd sort of guessed the Technical Director wouldn't be interviewing on his first day back in the office. After he'd opened his email box there wouldn't be much time left for anything else, let alone interviewing me. So I had written it off as yet another weeks wait.
I was so surprised to get a call from the agency late on Friday 23rd asking if I was prepared to go in for the 2nd interview on the 27th !!! OF COURSE I WAS !!!
It went really well. They seemed impressed. I answered all their questions. (I think). We joked and chatted. It was very comfortable.
And I left feeling very positive about the whole thing.
On arriving in Leeds I took a couple more calls from agencies, more possible leads.
I took the calls in the corridor of Charlotte's apartment as the signal was good and I could hear them easier.
I'd just finished the second call lining up another interview for the Friday morning when the phone rang again almost instantly.
Answering it I was greeted by Emma from the agency saying that DiagnoSys were offering me the post and was I interested !!!
YAAAAHOOOOOOO was I interested !!!!
What a start to my birthday !!!

So, I'm now idling my time away at NXP waiting to leave on June 27th, starting at DiagnoSys on the 30th.
It seems that time is going backwards though, I'm busy, but it doesn't feel like I'm getting any closer to leaving.

Oh well, I shouldn't be wishing my life away I guess... it'll be here soon enough.

Ciao for now.

BP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S what happened to you! I was beginning to think you'd ditched us all for good. I'm chuffed that you've got a new position with a company that sounds enthusiastic to have you. And the timing couldn't be better. Congrats! Does that little company want a telecommuter from California? (yes, I'm looking)