Tuesday 11 March 2008

Tuesday ramblings...

Three short blogs...

1. While DIYing at the weekend I purchased some hinges, three pairs of chromed, 75mm butt's to be precise. After cutting my doors around to take said hinges imagine my dismay at finding the supplied screws just go straight through the holes in the hinge !!! A detour via Homebase last night I complained. Pimply youth said I'll give you a refund if you bring back the hinges. "No... it's the HINGES I wanted !!!". Idiot !!!
I love fitting hinges. It reminds me of my woodworking lessons at school...


2. While browsing the hinges and door fittings I stumbled across a great word... "Escutcheon". Neat eh? It means...
  1. Heraldry. A shield or shield-shaped emblem bearing a coat of arms.
  2. An ornamental or protective plate, as for a keyhole.
  3. Nautical. The plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name.
3. My daughter 'C' is in her last year of music college. She has two performances remaining. One in April, one in May. Getting to Leeds is a pain. It's either five hours in a car, an expensive, long and complicated train journey, or a 45 minute flight from our local airport. After much debating we decided to fly. And after a few minutes online at FlyBe we secured flights for £1.43 each. Swiftly followed by booking a £35 room, including breakfast, at the nearby Etap too. Sorted !!! Imagine my horror yesterday when 'C' called to say she's no longer performing in that concert !!! Arrrgggghhhhhh !!!!
Kids eh ??? Who'd have 'em ???

Have a grand day fellow bloggers !!!
Stay dry...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen rising hinges fitted the wrong way!
Yes escutcheon is a great word!
Love them really ?
Have a good weekend, and don't spend it all DIYing! Cheers!

On The Road Again... said...

Cheers Flighty, have a great weekend yourself.